In an ideal world, people would be able to enjoy all the benefits of beetroot by eating (or drinking the freshly-squeezed juice of) the fresh form of this nutritious root vegetable. However, for the vast majority of people this is simply not possible, particularly in the required quantities. Even juices available from the supermarket are not ideal, due to the pasteurisation process, which destroys many of the essential enzymes.
VitaBoost+ Beet takes the hassle out of health by providing easy access to this superfood in a potent, convenient and easy-to-take capsule form. Combining beetroot powder and extract (10:1), with Montmorency (sour) cherry powder and extract (10:1), to provide a concentrated formula - 4500mg per capsule.
These superfoods are then complimented by the addition of three nutritive allies in the same formula - vitamin B6, black pepper powder and turmeric extract (95% curcumin) - to provide additional support for the reduction of tiredness and fatigue, energy-yielding metabolism, immunity, red blood cell formation, the nervous system, hormonal activity, protein and glycogen metabolism and more.
This food supplement is high in bioavailable antioxidants (including anthocyanins) and contains non-irritating iron, while the black pepper increases the absorption and utilisation of the beneficial ingredients in the formula. Everyone can benefit from taking this remarkable food-based supplement, particularly endurance athletes and those with cardiovascular, respiratory or metabolic disorders.
In particular beet fibre has been shown to have cholesterol-lowering capabilities. Similarly, betaine, a nutrient found in beetroot, lowers plasma homocysteine, a possible risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Beetroot has also been shown to lower blood pressure and thereby help to prevent cardiovascular problems. This is likely to be because the high content of dietary nitrate in beetroot produces a gas called nitric oxide in the blood, which widens blood vessels and lowers blood pressure.
VitaBoost+ Beet capsules are particularly popular with athletes, because of the high levels of dietary nitrate present in beetroot, the anti-inflammatory agents present in Montmorency cherry and the high levels of antioxidants present in both. Allied with vitamin B6, black pepper powder and turmeric extract, this supplement offers those who place high demands on their body a winning combination for high energy levels, stamina, immunity and general well-being.
Several studies have shown that betaine (a nutrient found in high levels in beetroot) supports healthy liver function, particularly where there is a build-up of fatty deposits in the liver caused by alcohol abuse, protein deficiency or diabetes, among other causes.
When the liver is functioning properly, fats are broken down efficiently, promoting natural weight loss, preventing fatigue and supporting body detoxification. Beetroot is also naturally rich in alkaline elements, making it a great addition to any cleanse and detox programme.
Vitamin B6 contributes to the normal function of the immune system, the regulation of hormonal activity, normal cysteine synthesis, normal energy-yielding metabolism, normal homocysteine metabolism, normal protein and glycogen metabolism and the reduction of tiredness and fatigue.
Turmeric is perhaps most commonly associated with its anti-inflammatory actions. Inflammation is the body’s natural response to injury or infection, often causing localised redness, swelling, pain or heat. It may also cause loss of function of the involved tissues. Studies have shown that curcumin, a compound in turmeric, may reduce inflammation in the body.
As a result of its properties (particularly anti-inflammatory actions), turmeric is used for a wide variety of health conditions including: arthritis, heartburn (dyspepsia), joint pain, stomach pain, Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis, diarrhoea, intestinal gas, stomach bloating, loss of appetite, jaundice, liver problems, Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infection, stomach ulcers, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), gallbladder disorders, high cholesterol, a skin condition called lichen planus and fatigue.
It is also used for headaches, bronchitis, colds, lung infections, fibromyalgia, leprosy, fever, menstrual problems, itchy skin and recovery after surgery. Other uses include depression, water retention, worms, urinary bladder inflammation and kidney problems.
Black pepper is the fruit of the black pepper plant from the Piperaceae family. Piperine is the alkaloid within black pepper that is responsible for its pungency. It increases thermogenic activity in the body and is therefore often included in weight loss formulas - thermogenesis is the way of developing cellular energy and this results in an increase in the metabolic rate of the body. Black pepper is also a very good anti-inflammatory agent. while piperine boosts the bioavailability of curcumin.
Ingredients: Beetroot Extract (10:1), Montmorency Cherry Extract (10:1), Capsule Shell: Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose (HPMC) (Vegetarian), Anti-caking Agent: Magnesium Stearate (Magnesium salts of fatty acids) (vegetable source), Black Pepper Powder, Turmeric Extract 10:1 (95% Curcumin), Vitamin B6 Pyridoxine Hcl.
Contains no added: artificial colours, flavourings, preservatives, dairy products, gluten, lactose, soya, sugar, wheat or yeast.
Suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
Other Benefits of Beetroot:
- Beetroot contains folic acid, which is essential for normal tissue growth. It is also therefore regarded as an important dietary inclusion for women planning a pregnancy.
- Beetroot contains the mineral silica. This helps the body to utilise calcium, which is important for musculo-skeletal health and is also required for healthy skin, hair, nails and bones.
- Beetroot is virtually fat-free and low in calories. Although it has a medium GI (Glycaemic Index) of 64, it has an extremely low GL (Glycaemic Load) of 2.9, which means it is converted into sugars very slowly and therefore helps to keep blood sugar levels stable.
- Beetroot helps to boost stamina and, due to its high iron content, helps with anaemia and fatigue syndrome- this is an organic form of iron (non-irritating). Young beetroot leaves are a better source of iron than spinach!
- Recent research has declared beetroot a “mood food”. It has been shown to stimulate the brain and contain the compound betaine, which enhances the production of the body’s natural mood-enhancer, serotonin.
- Beetroot can help to support the immune system, through its extraordinary range of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients (particularly antioxidants), which mean our bodies are better able to fight off infection. These nutrients help to stimulate the re-oxygenation of cells and the production of new blood cells.
- The cellulose content of the beet acts as a bulk residue, increasing peristalsis. Its regular use therefore prevents habitual constipation.
- Betaine in beetroot also helps individuals with hypochlorhydria, a condition causing abnormally low levels of stomach acid, by increasing stomach acidity.
- Beetroot supports many organs, including the key detoxification organs like the liver, gallbladder, spleen and kidneys.
Other Benefits of Montmorency Cherries:
- They are an excellent source of beta carotene (they contain 19x the beta carotene of blueberries).
- They are rich in vitamins C and E (two of the most powerful antioxidants found in nature).
- They are a good source of potassium, magnesium, iron, folate and dietary fibre.
- They reduce the risk of diabetes and insulin resistance syndrome.
- They are low in sugar, sodium and calories.
- They support healthy cardiovascular function.
- They offer protection against heart disease.
- They support memory and other brain functions.